Living The Dream: Azizulhakim Rashid To F.C. Castiglione




Azizul (front row, fourth from left) with his Bukit Timah Juniors team-mates.
Photo credit: Ian Goh, Unofficial S.League Podcast

Bukit Timah Juniors' central midfielder, Azizulhakim Rashid, 17, has just finished his N levels at Meridian Secondary. But instead of continuing his training with the NFL side and preparing for National Service (NS), he will be honing his craft in Italy.

Azizul has signed a one-year contract with FC Castiglione in the Italian Terza Categoria, at the 9th tier of the Italian football league. Unofficial S.League Podcast sat down with Azizul for a short chat in Holland Village to find out more about this opportunity.

The former Siglap Secondary school player represented his team up to the C-Division level, and turned out for the Centre of Excellence (COE) teams of Balestier Khalsa (U-13) and Tampines Rovers (U-15) at the same time.

Captain Azizul in action for Tampines Rovers U-15 against Balestier Khalsa.
Photo credit: Chris Harvey

This meant up to three training sessions per week, where the coaches would motivate their teams to perform well as a team, as league points were at stake. "(For the COE), we trained on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays," Azizul told us.

However, when he joined the Turf City Mustangs, who would for a time be known as the AC Milan Academy Juniors, Azizul experienced a different kind of training.

"They had a playing style more like the European style of play. They could think fast, and moved fast if they had to, not like the locals," he said, "and it was good that we played and trained together."

Azizul was naturally drawn to the Academy training, and attended it when he was able to. When there was a clash in training schedules, Azizul said he would "go to the COE teams because I could get match experience. I prefer the training at the Academy, but at that time there was no league competition for them."

The versatile midfielder will get to learn more European-style football during his stint at Castiglione. "It was my dream since young to play for an European team." But Azizul admitted that while he was there, "I'm gonna miss home, the food, and the weather. I heard that in winter it can go below zero."

Azizul in Castiglione colours.
Photo credit: Azizul's personal collection

Azizul won the confidence of the Italian coaches during the Juniors' annual overseas training trip. "A few other Juniors players came together, and we played two matches as part of an U-17 team. First it was a full 90 minutes against the Castiglione first team, then it was a match against another club from Italy."

"When I was there, I played my best, like it was my only chance." This was enough to get him the one-year contract with the Terza Categoria outfit. "Once I get there, they will let me know if I will be playing for the youth team or the adults," Azizul revealed, "but I will be in Italy till 2021, because I got a deferment to study there as well."

"The coach and the agent helped me to find a private school. I'll be doing my A levels there. All the lessons will be in Italian, (I've started learning) a bit," he sheepishly admitted.

It feels like Azizul plans to do more than just learn Italian during his three years in Italy. "I'm going to take this chance to train hard, hopefully I can go to clubs in the higher divisions. Serie C, Serie B. I hope to play for Juventus one day."

Azizul will need all the support he can get if he is to realise his dream. Fortunately, he will have a familiar face at Castiglione; club-mate Jordan Emaviwe has also chosen to further his development at the Italian club before moving to FC Chiasso.

Comments