The Singapore EuroSnob: An Introduction

Singapore football: talent is played out of position, with no support, plenty of opposition.
What can *we* as fans change about that? Photo credit: Ian Goh



Jerome Setho
Writer



Hi, my name is Jerome and I'm a EuroSnob.

What does "EuroSnob" mean? Urban Dictionary describes it as "A person who, instead of supporting their own cities A-League team, chooses to support a team which plays 3000km away." Of course, this can also reference Singaporeans and our propensity to support English Premier League teams instead of our local SPL teams.

Why am I writing in an SPL column when in the first sentence, I already identified myself as a Eurosnob? Well, it's simple. I want to rediscover what local football truly means to me. I have always thought of myself as a true football fan. I've supported Arsenal for the last 19 years and it's been full of ups and downs but I still stand behind my team. But, as many people have pointed out, how can I call myself a "true" football fan when I don't even support a local team or even the National team for that matter?

I, like many others, saw no point in supporting Local Football. Boring, no atmosphere, lacking in tactical awareness just to name a few reasons. But in the last couple of years, my opinion on that is certainly changing. From meeting people like Stanley from the Ultras Eagles, Amsyar and Shawn from the Hougang Hools and Aaron who runs the podcast. They have shown me that despite the many downs that the Singapore game has faced over the last decade, there is still a reason to see a better future for it.

Just to give a little context, I was one of the finalists for Copa90's "In Search Of" competition to find a new host for all the different continents. I ended up in the final 3 where they went to the home countries of the finalists and interviewed them. The videos from their trips here would make it onto their YouTube channel and the audience would vote for the winner. Of course, I received the most flak for not supporting a local team and the league in general. All of which I understood and took on board, I was already working a crushing full time job but I wanted to make it a point to watch as many S.League games as I could. However, with my work schedule at the time, I found it virtually impossible to head over to the stadiums. This went on for 2 years until I left my job in mid 2017.

For a while, I honestly just lazed at home. Nothing but FIFA, Eat, Sleep and Repeat. This went on for a good 3 months at least. Until some random evening, I decided to watch my journey through the Copa90 "In Search Of" competition. And my mind just went back to the night at the Jalan Besar Stadium and how much fun I had. Meeting the Ultras Eagles, joining in the chants, the singing and the flag waving. Just an all round good time, and at an S.League game, no less. That was when I decided to then pull together what little contacts I had and started making calls. Managed to get in touch with the Hougang Hools through Shawn Tan, who like myself is a big metal music fan, and a passionate Hougang United fan. He then introduced me to Amsyar, who was doing match Vlogs under the moniker AHFC.

I spent some time with the Hools, watching their game against Warriors at Choa Chu Kang Stadium and attending their end of season Fan vs Players match. It was so heartening to see the club itself giving back to the fans and spending time with the people who matter the most to the club. With that Jock Stein's quote holds so true: "Football, without the fans, is nothing." The Hools are a boisterous but respectful bunch. When it comes to game time, they go all out. Supporting their team and taunting the opposition with creative chants and infectious drumming. But at the end of the game, they make it a point to also cheer for the opposition for a game well played. You honestly don't see that a lot in Singapore, we are generally a very reserved people. So to see this was also a very eye-opening but humbling experience.

I have learnt so much in the last 7 months and I am looking forward to learning even more. I know I have a long way to go in terms of fully understanding and appreciating the local game but I believe this is a good place to start. The podcast has given me the opportunity to experience the local game like never before and I want to seize that chance. The goal is to attend as many games as I can this season with one match a week being the more realistic option.

I will be creating a little Vlog series as well, titled The Singapore Eurosnob: The Singapore Premier League Experience. I'm still figuring out the kinks of videography but I am looking to get some videos up soon. I am truly excited on what this season holds for me and hope that more Eurosnobs like myself can come around and just drop by to watch an SPL game. The crowds might not be record-breaking, but you can be assured there will be a group of fans screaming their lungs out for their team.

Comments