Voices From The Ground: Home United's midfield dynamo Song Ui-Young

Editor's Note: Despite playing in midfield, Song has already scored twice in three games for Home United in the AFC Cup this season. Here's looking forward to more from the Korean dynamo! ~ kh

===== Chris (C): Since you were a boy, you were known to have football in your genes. You were scouted during elementary school, then you were made to be Captain of your middle school. The High School you attended had a strong connection with Korean footballing giants Suwon Samsung Bluewings. It must have been both encouraging to be highly rated but stressful to have always had the burden of being the 'football talent' among your circle of friends. So was football more of a good or bad thing for you as you grew up?


Song Ui-Young (S): I worked hard to be a good footballer, if people recognise that, that’s a good thing for me. It’s not a source of stress. Even when I was young, it wasn’t stressful.


C: By the recommendation of his coach from Yeouido High School, you left South Korea
at the age of 19 to pursue footballing opportunities in Singapore. Your move to Singapore was eased by the presence of Home United's assistant coach Baek Jong-seok. Did the head coach Lee Lim-Saeng play a big role in your development?


S: Back then, Coach Lee Lim-Saeng was once a coach at Suwon Samsung Bluewings, my high school’s football coach knew him and recommended me. Coach Lee came to watch me and I guess liked what he saw. Thus he invited me to join him in Singapore. After all, he was the head coach of Home United. Coach Lee did give me a lot of advice and support as we are both Koreans. That being said, I was just treated like a normal player in most ways. He wasn’t a fatherly figure or did anything special.


As for coach Baek Jong-Seok, it was my first year in Singapore, so he helped me accustomize to the local football culture. He played a big role in my journey.


To be honest, when I was still in Korea, I knew very little about Home United. All I knew was that Coach Lee was doing well there. To me, it wasn’t about the club, it was about uprooting myself to a different culture and country. As a new player in a new club and country, I had to learn to be independent. That was my main concern.


C: Life is full of changes, you started off as a striker, someone who scores goals. Then you became a DM, someone who stops goals. But this 2 seasons have seen you taking on a scoring role, notably the 2 goals in the AFC. Your second goal was fantastic! Do you see yourself playing as a striker again? Aka Irfan Fandi?


(His friend compiled a video clip involving some of his most inspired moves. The clip can be viewed at https://youtu.be/Q5Sl_DOOsXQ)


S: (Hesitates) If I were to go back to being a striker, I would have to make adjustment to many things such as my positioning. If I really want to, I guess I can try but it’s a change that I have not considered. I like being a midfielder, it’s a versatile role that’s involved in both defense and attack. I can also chip in with the goals.


C: After you made the move abroad to join Home United's youth team in the Prime League, you were quickly promoted to join the first team which competes in the S.League. Was it a shock?

S: Not really, I just made all the necessary preparations after I was informed about the promotion. That being said, naturally I was nervous before and during the first match.


C: On 12 July 2012, you made your debut appearance for the Protectors in the uniformed derby against Warriors FC. You played a total of 46 minutes in your first competitive match for the club, which subsequently ended in a 0–3 loss for your side. It must have been a match of mixed feelings for you. The excitement of playing for the senior team alongside the disappointment of the defeat. What went through your head back then?


S: (Laughs) It’s been such a long time ago, I barely remember anything other than nerves. I struggled during that match and couldn’t play normally. The tempo and strength shown around me was an eye-opener. I wasn’t able to engage in the match fully.  


C: Alongside Camara, you are widely seen as one of the best foreign players and the then National Coach Stange also felt that you will be good for the National team, you yourself have expressed an interest. Why are you willing to make that big jump?


S: It’s a big chance and honor to represent a country. It’s a special experience too. That’s why when I was interviewed by a journalist, I mentioned that I would be happy to play for Singapore. The quality of the players is good and I have been here for the past six years. I can’t think of a reason why I would reject such a glorious opportunity.


C: Outside football, what do you do for fun?


S: I like to interact with people over meals or coffee. I don’t play games. Movies are great too.


C: Who is your best friends in HUFC?


S: That would have to be Juma'at Jantan. We spent a long time together at the same club and he’s a really good person. When I struggled with the likes of fatigue, he helped me a lot.


C: I remember that you once travelled to Tanjong Pagar for Korean food, where are some of your food haunts and what are some of your favourite Singaporean dishes?


S: It’s a Korean buffet restaurant, Daessiksin.


C: Last but not least, is there anything that you would like to tell your supporters?


S: I really appreciate the support, especially during the big matches. Lots of supporters went to the stadium to support us. They really serve to energise the players on the pitch. The season is not over, I hope that they will keep supporting us.


C: Thanks for the chat, Song!

S: Thank you!

Comments