NFL Youngster Emaviwe Earns Move To Switzerland

Emaviwe is set to turn out for FC Chiasso's first team in 2018.
Photo: Ian Goh (footygraphysg / The Unofficial S.League Podcast)


Chris Peng
Columnist
The Unofficial S.League Podcast
sleaguepodcast@gmail.com


Jordan Emaviwe might not ring a bell for most but the 16-year-old is set to join the ranks of Adam Swandi and Ahmad Hakimputra as another young prospect looking to fly the Singapore flag high in Europe.

Emaviwe presently turns out for Academy Junior Football in the amateur NFL Division 2, but he is set for a professional move to Switzerland next season after impressing on trial at FC Chiasso, a club which plays in the second tier of the Swiss football league system.

Our team caught up with the midfielder after he returned from his trial to find out more about his upcoming move.

Chris (C): Hi Jordan. Congratulations on your upcoming move to FC Chiasso, which would see you joining V. Sundramoorthy (FC Basel) and David Low (FC Concordia Basel) in the list of Singaporeans who have played in Switzerland. How do you feel about representing us on such a big stage?

Jordan Emaviwe (J): Thank you! It has always been my dream to play overseas and I am grateful to have this opportunity.

C: I understand that you were one of four players from Academy Junior Football that went to Italy for a trial. You were subsequently spotted by a scout from FC Chiasso and sent to Switzerland for a trial. Your involvement in the following match, which your team won 7-0, led to the club's interest in signing you. That sounds like a real whirlwind of events! What went through your mind throughout the entire process?

J: I didn’t have that much time on the pitch (Emaviwe played 12 minutes during FC Chiasso's training match) but many things can happen in that short duration. Goals can be scored in a matter of minutes. My mindset is simple. As long as I tried my best, the outcome is secondary.

C: (Turns to Emaviwe's coach, Joe Keiser) Coach, may I ask what kind of contract is Jordan signing with FC Chiasso? Is it a professional or youth contract?

Joe Keiser (K): It’s a professional contract. He will be one of the 26 players in FC Chiasso’s first team. They play in the Swiss Challenge League, the second tier in the Swiss football hierarchy. This is not an academy position.

The Director-General of FC Chiasso watched Jordan for about 30 seconds and was immediately interested.

C: Jordan, how did you find the playing standards in Italy and Switzerland? Was there any culture shock?

J: No, I watch the English Premier League and it’s similar to English football. However, as compared to Singapore, the difference is vast, especially in terms of fitness.

C: I spoke to many Singaporean national players who had overseas stints. They feel that the main difference between local and foreign football is the different requirement in terms of speed. To Tampines Rovers’s Hafiz Sujad, the Thai league was demanding in terms of physical speed. To Home United’s hotshot Stipe Plazibat, speed in movement and thoughts were both pivotal in Japan. Both players played in the respective second tier in those countries where standards were clearly higher. You also got to experience football in Europe. Do you concur with these seasoned pros?

J: Even in Singapore, we must be fast. That being said, in Singapore opponents don’t high press that much so you have time to pick a pass or to try again if something didn’t work. But, when I played in Italy, you can really feel their presence when they are behind you. You need to think two steps ahead.

C: You spent a few days in Switzerland. Do you think the cold weather and language would pose a barrier to you?

J: I enjoy conversing in other languages, it’s a good challenge. I’d love to pick up some Italian and French so I don’t think that I will have too many problems on the language front, especially when I will be attending school when I reach there. I will be juggling football and studies over there.

As for the weather, I'll just wear more clothes, I prefer to be in a cool environment anyway.

K: His contract states that other than regular compensation, he will be receiving an apartment near the compound and his studies will be paid for. He will be studying Italian as that language will make up approximately 75% of his classes. It’s also the most commonly used language in southern Switzerland.

C: It’s not the best of times for the S.League. You are getting a chance to leave our shores and possibly skip the slog up the local football hierarchy. Is this more of a pro or a con to you?

J: Of course it’s a good thing. Playing in Europe has always been my lifelong ambition. If it means that I need to skip the S.League to make it in Europe, it is what it is.

Emaviwe in action for Academy Junior Football in the NFL Division 2.
Photo: Ian Goh (footygraphysg / The Unofficial S.League Podcast)

C: It must have come as a shock to your family as well. How are they feeling about this upcoming adventure of yours?

J: Of course they are proud. My mum passed away recently and I would have loved to have her share this moment with me. She could have visited Switzerland next year to watch me play, to see what I can offer. My father and sister are certainly proud of me.

C: No matter where she is, I'm sure she will be proud of you. I understand that Academy Junior Football is affiliated with AC Milan. I also understand that FC Chiasso does play pre-season games with the Italian giants. Is this a coincidence?

K: Let me make a clarification. Up until we gained entrance to the National Football League (NFL), we (Academy Junior Football) were an official program from AC Milan. Once we joined the NFL, we had to become a club. It’s mandated by the Football Association of Singapore that we were not to follow what the likes of Albirex Niigata or DPMM did. We had to change the way we worked with AC Milan and in a way it opened up more opportunities to work with other clubs, for example FC Chiasso, which played AC Milan during the pre-season of 2013 and 2016. Such opportunities enabled them to learn more about players like Jordan.

C: Jordan, I see that you are a Singaporean. Could you tell us more about yourself?

J: I am actually born in Singapore. My dad is a Nigerian while my mum is Singaporean Chinese. I attended White Sands Secondary School where I played in their football team. Subsequently, I joined St Patrick's Secondary School where I have just completed my ‘N’ levels. Hopefully, I will do well.

C: At what age did you start playing football? Before this, did you harbour ambitions of playing abroad?

J: I started playing football when I was three. My dad would bring me to Pasir Ris Park and we played some simple ball games involving passing. Football subsequently became my favourite sport. When I reached thirteen years of age, I started dreaming of playing in Europe.

C: How do you feel about your stint in Academy Junior Football?

J: It’s nice. We had good coaches who helped to develop me into the player I am.They pressed us during training and didn’t just want us to just go through the motions.and to waste our time. They taught us that we were there to improve. The likes of Graziano Mannari, Davide Sacramati and Maria Lorini came from AC Milan and coached us.

C : I understand that you are a left-footer. What’s your favored position on the pitch?

J: I like playing in a central midfield role.

C: Who are your footballing idols? Do you have any favourite team?

J: My favourite team is Manchester United. I love Paul Pogba and Paul Scholes. Pogba’s physique and shooting are all top notch. As for Paul Scholes, his passing is amazing, just look at some of his long range passes!

C: Other than football, what do you do for fun?

J: I'd say I enjoy gaming off the pitch. (Jordan enjoys the occasional game of FIFA) Other than that, I also enjoy a wide variety of sports ranging from badminton to table tennis.

C: Do you have anything to tell young players who may be looking to emulate your success?

J: If anyone wants to make it big, they need to be prepared to put in plenty of hard work. Other than training with the team, they need to put in extra effort. If needed be, do some individual training. Remove all distractions such as social media. If they want success in football, they need to put their minds to it. I won’t say that studies should be secondary. A balance needs to be achieved.

C: If you get a call-up to the National team, you may have to travel to and fro quite a bit. How do you feel about that?

J: If I get to choose between Singapore and Nigeria, I will choose the latter. But if Singapore calls me up, I will consider it.

C: Hariss Harun was called up before he hit 17. At 16, you were his age when he got his first call-up. I feel that in Singapore, if you are good enough, you are old enough. Do you have any messages for people who may have helped you along the way?

J: I would like to thank my coaches. For example, Coach Joe, for pushing me. I'd also like to thank my parents for all the help and motivation. My father often scolded me and I often felt that he was in the wrong. On hindsight, I should have listened to him as I realised later that he was often right. One more message for younger players, if they go for a trial and get rejected, they should fight on as this sport is not for quitters.

C: Between now and January, what do you plan to do before you return to Switzerland?

J: I’ll keep my fitness up and try to be stronger. I’ll keep myself healthy and not break another bone. I’ll also be mindful that there’s something big coming up in my life and I must not screw it up.

K: On the topic of a broken bone, Jordan broke his collarbone in late May and he was well cared for by Dr. KC Ang of Ortho Sports. Jordan marked his return playing in the trial match in Switzerland. Dr. KC Ang got him patched up in time without surgery and Jordan’s match fitness also wasn’t compromised. The people in Ortho Sports did a great job!

C: Jordan, where do you see yourself 10 years down the road?

J: It’s my dream to play for Manchester United and Nigeria. It’s easier said than done but we need to challenge ourselves. It is critical to always push ourselves.

C: Coach, would you have anything to add?

K: We are looking forward to a good and solid future. This is the first step for Jordan. FC Chiasso has always been a team that develops youth talents and moves them so it’s a good step into professional European football.

 The likes of Manchester United are certainly possibilities for Jordan in the future. As long as there’s hard work and the will to fight adversities like Jordan did, the sky’s the limit.

C: When you mentioned adversities, did you mean that Jordan has had to contend with other major injuries?

CJ: No, let’s just say that when players develop and move from organisation to organisation, they might meet unusual and discouraging circumstances like Jordan did. Jordan chose to put his head down and worked through it whereas many others failed to make it. That’s why he’s at this point today.

C: It certainly sounds like maturity on Jordan's part.

K: Absolutely, it's loyalty to the program, team and the club, and, not relying on organisations to do it by themselves or feel entitled to move on. It’s a lot of hard work and let’s not forget, an element of luck.

C: Aye, a big difference hitting the back of the net or the crossbar.

K: Exactly.

C: Thanks a lot, folks! We wish you all the best for the upcoming move to Switzerland. Do us proud!

J / K: Thank you!

Singaporeans who have played in Europe: V. Sundramoorthy (FC Basel, Switzerland), Fandi Ahmad (FC Groningen,Netherlands), Adam Swandi (FC Metz, France), Ahmad Hakimputra (Kaposvari Rakoczi F.C.,Hungary), Bryan Neubronner (SSV Ulm 1846, Germany), David Low (Oberliga, Germany, FC Concordia Basel, Switzerland, Buki TK, Hungary), Ben Davis (Fulham, England)

Our reporter with Emaviwe (left) and Keiser (right)
Photo: Ian Goh (footygraphysg / The Unofficial S.League Podcast)

Comments